My child is different

As told by Cori, Mom to Bella


My child is different. I knew that the moment she was born, though you couldn't tell from the outside. I could just feel it. She changed my life. For the better. I knew she was gonna grow up and do amazing things.



When I got the call at 3am that confirmed she had ALL Leukemia I was in a disarray. I wasn't sure what to think. I just knew I had to trust in God, that she would still do amazing things. They just may not be what I envisioned for her.



Seeing her go through so much pain from a simple blood test that ended with a bone marrow biopsy, a major surgery to insert her port-a-cath, starting chemo, and 10 days inpatient were tough.



When she got a high fever after only being home from 6 days and ended up being admitted for 26 days because of a blood infection I was scared. But after 29 days of chemo and countless blood and platelet transfusions I got the call from the doctor that unlike 98% of ALL patients Bella did not go into remission. I was then terrified. At this point, I couldn't hold it in anymore. All I could do was cry and pray to God that I needed Him. He had to make her better. I couldn't lose my little girl. Things get a little easier but the pain never ceases. Some days it just hits you like a freight train that your once healthy child now has a life threatening disease.



Now when people see Bella, they can tell she is different. She doesn't have much hair, she wears a mask and she has a port inside her chest. She can't play at the park or McDonald's without fear of getting deathly sick. She goes to the doctor at lease once a week to receive chemo. Her best friends are the doctors and nurses she sees almost everyday. She is a champion pill swallower. Did I mention she is 3 years old? She is amazing. Her courage and strength can only come from one place. God.



He loves her more than I can fathom, which is difficult to do since I love nothing more in this world than my children and Jesus. I must put my trust and faith in Him. He can see the big picture even tho I cannot. He will lead me where I am supposed to go.



Just like I feel He is leading me to become more involved in raising awareness for childhood cancer. If I reach only 1 person. That will be enough. Today Bella is in remission. It took a very long 4 months to reach that goal but we did it, but it wasn't without a few tears shed and many sleepless nights. We still have 2 years left of treatment and I am still scared everyday that I could lose my child, but I must be strong for her and my family. God is on our side.



Please visit Bella's Blog and Facebook  
to show support in any way, whether it is prayer, sharing her story, or just to love on them!

1 comments:

Unknown

Thank you for sharing her story! What a beautiful amazing little girl that you have!

Post a Comment

 

About

The Gold Hope Project is a team of photographers that have gathered together to raise awareness of childhood cancers. There are over 800 photographers worldwide that offer their services to fighters and survivors, putting faces to facts.
The Gold Hope Project Copyright © 2013 | Template by: compartidisimo